.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

the distractable one

Kimmie took today off, so no alarm in the morning. Using different drugs (a Sleep Aid for me--diphenhydramine hydrochloride, same active ingredient as Sominex and over-the-counter antihistamine medication--and ibuprofen for Kimmie, whose arm and neck were sore from incorrect sleeping the previous night), we both slept well. Didn't rise until 6:30 or 7:00, to a sunny day.

Started off with coffee and research notes, as ever, just running later. Still the same triad of Message of the Sphinx, Ancient Rome in the Light of Recent Discoveries, and A History of the Jewish People. We ate toast for breakfast, and I felt the loss of creative compression that comes with free time. Kimmie wanted to take it easy, and I'm ready to grasp at any tissue-thin excuse to avoid my project. Indeed, I had felt unusually pessimistic about it as I lay in the dawn murk, small beams of light streaming around the felt blackout that we put over our window at night. Too big, too weird, too unfamiliar...

But I did come down to the office and open the document "13 - Notes" to key my thoughts on the choreography of Alexander and his book. This anonymous book is a keystone for the astrological Age of Pisces about to dawn, and it is in danger of being burned in the fire of Alexandria. Thinking through character motivation and the choreography of action is much more a logical exercise than anything that could be called inspired. The answer to the question, "Why would such-and-such a character do that?" is usually right to hand if you think about it; just as the answer is often not far away in real life. People's decisions are, despite all appearances, usually rational. It's just their crazy underlying beliefs and altogether defective knowledge, along with terror and insecurity, that screw them up.

I didn't apply myself for very long. My attention flagged. I started doing other things. Before long, I was taking Kimmie and Robin out to lunch at Troll's in Horseshoe Bay, fish stew on a fresh spring day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home