.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Saturday, May 28, 2005

searching and finding

Underslept. Light streamed around our felt blackout curtain at 5:00, and I decided to rouse myself at 6:10.

Notes: True Believer; Origins of Scientific Thought; Alexander the Great.

Next I added some metatags to the blog template, looking for ways to increase my search-engine visibility, since this blog does not show up on Google when I search using "Paul Vitols", even though Blogger.com is a division of Google. Later today I tried my name on AltaVista and lo: I discovered that I was referred to by Debra Young on her blog, fantasist, and she mentions that she had found me via Cindy Harrison's blog, A Writer's Diary. (Thanks ladies.)

A web search of my name generates about 2 pages of hits. Most of these relate to The Odyssey, the adventure-fantasy TV series I created with Warren Easton in 1989. The CBC ran it in Canada from 1992 to 1995, and it has been running ever since then in various countries around the world (on the Sci-Fi Channel in the U.S.). Due to the way Canadian independent productions are (or were) set up, I don't personally make any money out of the show. Actually, now I do: France has a system whereby it levies a tax on blank videocassettes and distributes the proceeds to creators of TV programming broadcast in France. France sent me $500 last year. Thank you very much, France! Even better is the knowledge that people all over the world are watching and enjoying my show. You can't beat it.

A hot day. Kimmie and I had breakfast down at the Corner Cafe, and shopped in the heat. Nary a cloud in the sky. We sat at Ambleside beach, drinking pop and watching a freighter chug past under the Lions Gate Bridge. Then home: Kimmie wants to bake a cake for Robin's birthday on Monday.


Labels:

9 Comments:

  • Thanks for dropping by, Paul. d:)

    By Blogger Debra Young, at May 28, 2005 7:45 PM  

  • Hello from a Russian viewer of "The Odyssey". It was on in our country around 1997.
    I'm glad I have found your blog, so I have the opportunity to ask you some questions about the plot if I may. I might also write about some my impressions of the story.
    I am not a reporter.
    So I'm waiting for your answer if you read this message. Thank you very much for attention.
    Kind regards.
    Liza

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 22, 2008 8:32 AM  

  • Hello Liza. Many thanks for your comment. The best part of doing The Odyssey is knowing that it has gone all around the world and been enjoyed by so many people. I really appreciate hearing that you liked it.

    Please feel free to ask questions. My track record on responding to questions about the show is only so-so, but the questions are welcome--I'll do my best!

    Thanks for stopping by.

    By Blogger paulv, at January 22, 2008 8:40 AM  

  • Thank you.
    I'll write later. Dropping by :).
    Hello from my twin sister Irene.
    Liza

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 23, 2008 10:23 AM  

  • Wow--twins! Hello to Irene.

    Gemini?

    By Blogger paulv, at January 24, 2008 7:30 AM  

  • Here we are http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/sing-a-song/view/17533/ I'm wearing a skirt and Irene's wearing jeans.
    I have thought we're twins, so to speak, out of one egg. We are not identical twins. we're aren' the sort of twins who differ a lot, either. Although people who don't know us don't tell us.
    We're good friends, share a lot of interests. There's something similar about our characters, but there are differences, too.

    P.S. I also have a journal http://liza-di-grazia.livejournal.com/, but it's in Russian for the most part.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 26, 2008 3:40 AM  

  • Thanks very much for the link to the pictures, Liza--I appreciate it. Are those your drawings on that site? The pencil portraits?

    If you'd like to contact me by e-mail, one way is at papaalphavictor@gmail.com.

    And hello again to Irene--similar, but not the same...!

    By Blogger paulv, at January 26, 2008 7:34 AM  

  • Yes, the drawings are mine. That's my photo page http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/sing-a-song/albums/ :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 29, 2008 12:34 AM  

  • Hello, Paul. It's me again. I've made a journal here.

    (P.S. Haven't brought myself to write a letter or a post with the questions yet.)

    By Blogger Liza, at February 02, 2008 4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home