.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Sunday, June 19, 2005

books, Father's Day

Might as well start a post between my semi-activities.

Today is Father's Day in those parts of the world that celebrate it. "Happy Father's Day," said Kimmie as we lolled in bed at 7 o'clock. I'm not a father, however.

"I celebrated Stepfather's Day on Friday," I said, meaning that that's when I took Robin to lunch.

Kimmie understood right away and giggled.

I rose to discover that there had been more traffic to my blog, notably from Jacqui Lofthouse, an actual historical novelist. For a writer, nothing beats the feeling that one is being read--not even the feeling that one is being paid.

I checked her blog and enjoyed the little inventory of books in one's life that Amanda Mann first used in her blog. I'd like to play too:

Number of books owned:
Nonfiction: 860
Fiction: 165
(Actual numbers may be slightly higher, due to books that have escaped inventorying.)

Last book bought: The History of Technology, volume 2, edited by Charles Singer et al.

Last book read: Rubicon by Tom Holland

Last book finished: Hillel the Elder by Nahum Glatzer

Five books that mean a lot:

- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
- The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
- The Masks of God, especially volume 4, Creative Mythology by Joseph Campbell
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, and, I don't know, how about...
- The Astrological Neptune by Liz Greene

I had to update my Book Inventory workbook in Excel to get it to total the books,something I'd never bothered to do (only the total dollar figure, for insurance purposes).

Kimmie and I went out for breakfast to Denny's, a local family-style restaurant on Marine Drive near the entrance to the Lions Gate Bridge. We'd never been there before. The place was jammed; we had to wait for 20 minutes to get a table. When we asked the bus-girl whether it was always this busy, she said it was only her second day on the job, but that it was after all Father's Day.

Ah yes, Father's Day. I did send Dad an e-mail, briefly referring to Father's Day. (I suspect that it's one of those synthetic holidays invented by Hallmark Cards.) Do fathers really have a preference for queuing up at Denny's every mid-June with their families, so they can tuck in to some pancakes and sausages?

A stop at Capilano Mall for sundry things, and now helping Kimmie sort and move furnishings from the upstairs bedroom to the new bunker sewing-room. It's sounding very quiet in there. I'll go see what she's up to.


Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Hi, Paul, Just to say, yes, couldn't agree with you more, discovering you're being read and enjoyed makes it all worth while. So many, many thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated. Amanda.

    By Blogger Stephanie Zia, at June 20, 2005 5:57 AM  

  • Thanks for the mention too Paul; I'll add you to my links too in the next day or so. Am dashing right now to the writer's group that Amanda refers to in her blog of today. I 've yet to catch up with your blog properly but I like what I've read of your style so far, the description of your writing day, the elements et al (I read the one where the rainbow appears). Glad you played the 'game' too; I'm also a fan of Joseph Campbell though via Christopher Vogler... Jacqui

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 20, 2005 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home