.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Saturday, July 23, 2005

music in the street

Awake before 5:00, rose at about 6:00. Worked on morning notes, like a good little researcher: Galilee from Alexander the Great to Hadrian, and The Ruling Class of Judaea by Martin Goodman.

Tinkered on a couple of Wikipedia articles. Noticed that some contributors there get a bit hot under the collar.

While I worked I heard the sound of Caribbean music thumping in through the open windows. The parade for Caribbean Day was mustering on Keith Road in front of our house. Kimmie was ecstatic, hopping and dancing in the kitchen like a jumping-bean. I joined her out on the porch to watch and listen awhile. It is exciting and different to have live music flooding our street instead of the noise of traffic--a sense of festival. A truck was decked out as a float, with a Caribbean-themed mural hanging from its side and the band in a fenced platform on the roof. Guitar, bass, keyboards, saxophone, one or two microphones for vocals, and a couple of hangers-on who seemed just to be loitering on the roof. The repetitive bass-riff thudded out through the cool air.

Robin was off to a staff meeting. Kimmie and I headed out to do errands--buy her some bras at the Bay, get her a new debit card at the credit union, get my glasses fixed at Lenscrafters. I have felt sensitive and depressed for the past few days, as though I'd like to hide somewhere. Somewhere perhaps far away from my book.

Tonight: night 1 of Paul's Rom-Com (romantic comedy) Festival. Kimmie wanted me to pick out the best romantic comedies and play them. I'm going in chronological order, so tonight it's a DVD of It Happened One Night, the movie that launched the romantic comedy genre in movies. We've seen it about 3 times before. Made in 1934, it's directed by Frank Capra and still excellent viewing. So there's something to look forward to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home