.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Thursday, September 01, 2005

146

I was all caught up on Alexander the Great; I keyed my morning notes from A History of Technology and Galilee from Alexander the Great to Hadrian.

Yesterday yet another book arrived by post: Blog On by Todd Stauffer, a how-to book on the world of blogging. A bit late, you say? Well, I first ordered this book in March, probably the same day I made my first post here. There were no copies available through Abebooks.com, so I ordered it from Amazon.com (I abandoned Amazon.ca in 2003 because of their habit of canceling my purchase orders two to three weeks after accepting them, due to the unavailability of the book). Amazon notified me that the book was back-ordered and would be available in four to five weeks.

Well, Amazon.com also kept pushing back the date, until finally, on July 16, I canceled that order too, having now found a copy available through Abebooks. I ordered it. It finally arrived. Now, almost six months after launching my blog, I'm going to learn something about blogging.

Before I started blogging, I made a search for information on blogs, and came up with this useful site comparing blog software. I scrolled through the comparison chart, feeling overwhelmed, since it is aimed at users who already know what blogging is, and what blogging software is supposed to do. (I think it was after looking at this chart that I decided to get a book; I've very book-driven.) I visited a number of the websites of blogware providers, and remained baffled. I've never had my own website online (have worked on one offline), so it all seemed overwhelming.

One of the providers offered a link to Blogger.com, so that I could compare basic plain-vanilla blogware with their supposedly more powerful package. As I explored Blogger.com, I was exhorted just to just jump in and try it: the way to find out what the features were was just to set up my own blog. Oh well, I thought, I'll just set up a pretend blog, to see what it's like. I can delete it right away--or never tell anyone about it, and it will just sit there, a lone experimental page in the blogosphere.

The result was my first post.

Now, 145 posts later, it's a part of my daily routine; I even have feelings of obligation about it. I feel bad about missing a day, and I've never missed two in a row. Because I'm using real names of people and places, I have certain inhibitions that pseudonymous bloggers don't. But from the start I wanted to be forthright and truthful in my own way--plus the blog is about my real book, which I intend to become widely known in due course.

Hm. Reading that first post again, I think I should try to do more posts like that one. Maybe tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home