.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Friday, January 13, 2006

in the name of identity

Another productive day after launching into chapter-drafting first thing. I'm not at the end of chapter 20 after these five days of writing, but I'm well on my way. About that, I feel good.

My usual blog-post time I have spent drafting a book review on Amazon.com. I decided to review Amin Maalouf's In the Name of Identity. The review is up on the page; you can read it by clicking the link if you like. Maybe I should do more of these reviews. After all, it's not that often that I actually finish a book to be able to review it.

Think I'll go read some books now, in fact. I got a novel out of the library yesterday: Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield, a historical novel about the battle of Thermopylae in Greece. I've read the first few pages: very good. But mainly I want to keep hunting down this elusive thing called identity. Yesterday I also read pages from Communitarianism and Individualism and Koestler's The Ghost in the Machine, as well as Baumeister's Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty. These are the works that feel "hot" to me right now.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Amin Maalouf Website -
    Biography, books, audio and video interviews, maps, ...
    Have a nice visit !

    http://www.aminmaalouf.narod.ru/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 18, 2006 3:01 PM  

  • In the Name of Identity - Amin Maalouf

    Can you please tell me the origin of the picture on these 2 book covers?
    Name, photographer, location, ... anything you have. Thank You!

    http://aminmaaloufwebsite.ifrance.com/amin-maalouf-pochette-identites-anglais-3.jpg
    (statue)

    http://aminmaaloufwebsite.ifrance.com/amin-maalouf-pochette-identites-anglais-4.jpg
    (barricade)

    Happy New Year!
    Vinni

    By Blogger Vinni Puh, at December 30, 2009 1:49 PM  

  • I can't believe this is a genesis on a historical novel. That would be the hardest thing to write. Your blog posts seem to end. Are you done with the novel?

    ~Garret
    Hello Kitty Converse
    Manager

    By Blogger Salon Fan, at December 15, 2010 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home