.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Monday, March 06, 2006

reopening the project

The belly of the whale; or maybe I'm just somewhere in his esophagus still...

I lay awake for a long time again last night, falling asleep relatively close to alarm-time (5:30), and having dreams. I wrote down one of these during coffee-time, wanting to find whatever wisdom I can from the realm where dreams originate.

But today was an advance for me, as I was able to actually open up my novel and look at it, and even work on it a bit. I avoided and resisted for awhile, but eventually gave in and opened chapter 21 and its associated notes document. I reviewed what was in the chapter (11 pages drafted), and looked over the notes to see what I had in mind, then, with a "what the hell" feeling, I typed on, pushing the story ahead. I found that my indifference actually made it easier to type; I wasn't worried about how I expressed myself, I just typed. It's an odd state of mind to be in.

Lately I wrote another book review on Amazon.com, for Future: Tense by Gwynne Dyer. I was gratified today to see that someone gave me a "helpful" vote. Nice.

Last night I finished reading The Ghost in the Machine by Arthur Koestler. I was going to quit about 20 pages from the end, but thought that Koestler deserved a finishing kick after all. I found out recently that Koestler died in 1983 by committing suicide in a pact with his wife. He had suffered from Parkinson's disease and leukemia.

Kimmie has been up at the dentist having a root canal. Wind has blown in fierce gusts, sending people's yellow and blue recycling bags far from their houses, up lanes and streets, across other people's lawns.

Now I'll head up for tea.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home