.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Monday, April 24, 2006

speed post

And here I was going to be so virtuous and actually write a post today, only to find, just now, that Blogger.com has scheduled an outage at 4 p.m. PDT (15 minutes from now, by my watch). This is to let you know that I wuz here.

Today is like summer, but with a cool breeze. The sky is empty of clouds, but slightly hazed over, with the sun shining strongly. I took a short run (managed to coax myself into it because of its shortness).

Writing-wise, I am tinkering with chapter 23, developing the story. I find that working on this novel is like working on a TV show: I have some brief notes of what is supposed to happen in a chapter, and now the task lies before me as to how to make that happen. Another TV-like factor is that my story is somewhat episodic, in that there is not a continuous flow of action from one chapter to the next. It's not a matter of ending one chapter with a guy pulling into his empty house to find a light unexpectedly on, and beginning the next with his walking cautiously in the door. Because I'm writing an epic, I must choose carefully which moments to show, pick them from a vast stream of surrounding action. If I do this right, the story should be exciting and interesting: I'm serving you, the reader, only the choicest morsels.

I've had some new story ideas for chapter 23, and have pretty much built a little plot for it. But I'm still working at filling in the surrounding detail, and the backstory leading into this moment, which is months after the last time I left these characters. I'll know when I've reached the threshold of enough material, enough richness, to make me feel confident about starting to write. I find it to be slow and anxiety-provoking, this gradual accumulation of material.

It's now 3:52 p.m. I've written the above in seven minutes. Better save and move on to tea. Back to The Origins and History of Consciousness. Plus another book arrived in the mail today, a blue hardback without its dust jacket: Ego Psychology: Theory & Practice by Gertrude and Rubin Blanck. What exactly is the ego, anyway? I hope to find out.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • I have the same problem. Spotlights rather than continuum. Sometimes, it's more than one chapter dedicated to such a spotlight, but never more than some 10K of one action. Having separate plotlines and subplots in most of my NiPs doesn't make it any easier to form a coherent Whole out of those pieces.

    But I can't write a simple plot for the life of me. :-)

    By Blogger Gabriele Campbell, at April 26, 2006 12:35 PM  

  • An IT or admin or the network http://www.rewording.biz/about-us/ administrator can remove your outlook password. Google has so many solutions on this otherwise.

    By Blogger Shuaib Ahmed, at November 24, 2018 8:10 AM  

  • Genesis of the historical novel brought the better challenge for your life. You can also find the speed post with this area of the invention. Go to the link of http://www.articlerewriters.org/ with this area and enjoy the new pattern of the better area.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 27, 2018 12:31 AM  

  • If you have that much speed so you need to keep in mind about the quality of the material as well and forthat you just need to navigate to this site to overcome the problems you have.

    By Blogger mikon, at November 28, 2018 3:56 AM  

  • When you have very much velocity and that means you will need to make note of concerning the grade of the particular substance at the same time and also for that an individual should just find check it here their way to the web site to be able to get over the difficulties you might have.

    By Blogger Hopper, at December 18, 2018 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home