.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

restless mind

I woke at 2:15 and never did go back to sleep. Too much to think about.

I've commented before about the difference in mentality, in emotionality, between day and night. I notice very strongly how differently I think and feel about things, even when fully conscious (that is, not just in the twilight of near-dreaming). At night my thoughts are much more emotionally flavored; my feelings are much stronger and more raw.

In astrology this is accounted for by the fact that the night is ruled by the Moon, which also rules our feelings.

One of my thoughts was that this is probably our mental state as we approach--and perhaps go through--death. It is likely a "nighttime" rather than a "daytime" experience, and we should prepare ourselves accordingly.

By that I mean that we should attend to those things in life that cause us to lose sleep, for they will very likely be the things troubling us on our deathbed.

Not all of my thoughts were painful, of course. A lot of what was keeping me awake was thoughts of fun and amusement--following interesting lines of inquiry and memory. I thought about astrology, for instance, and tussled with some exciting aspects of my current research.

There's lots to do for a restless mind.


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Restless mind can be quite interesting - How you react to things when you haven't slept can be either really funny or really interesting.

    Also, I was wondering something. Did you hear that the Odyssey was released on DVD by Omni yesterday? $112 dollars (with shipping and handling ($99.99 without)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 20, 2008 12:15 PM  

  • Thanks for the tip, squall. I'd better get on the phone and get my copy...

    By Blogger paulv, at August 21, 2008 7:26 AM  

  • No problem! I wish it had some extras in it for its price - it's quite expensive. I hope to obtain a physical copy soon though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 21, 2008 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home