.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Friday, July 29, 2005

the manure smell of summer

Hot day, with a semi-chemical smell pervading the air from the hills of manured earth piled on the boulevard out front. The workers have made this corner their stockpile, and when it gets depleted by the endless runs with their mini front-end loader, they truck in more. The rumble of trucks, the smell of manure.

Kimmie, on impulse, took today off. We will be heading out to Mom's place to celebrate my aunt Jackie's birthday with fish and chips that we'll pick up at the Crab Shop. Kimmie is baking a birthday cake right now.

Morning notes: Galilee from Alexander the Great to Hadrian and From Eden to Exile.

After the flash of inspiration the previous day, yesterday was another day of uncertainty and vacillation. I got off to a late start and became sidetracked. The lawyer for Harvey's estate approved our accounts, but wanted changes made to the spreadsheet showing what the beneficiaries are getting, so I worked on that. I made a point of getting back to my research reading in the afternoon, and I did enjoy it.

So: another day off. Here we are at the long weekend, B.C. Day (a civic holiday created in my memory, in the 1970s by the NDP government of Dave Barrett). Well, summer has always been a slow time, even in ancient Rome. The wealthy would decamp to the country villas and idle away the hot months. I, Saturn in Capricorn, have a Scroogelike streak that feels that time off is vaguely immoral (even though I help myself to as much of it as I can). Even though I'm not very keen on work, some part of me wants to turn all time to account. Hence, I don't merely read; I study, highlighter in hand.

In fact, I'd like to go do some of that right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home