.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Genesis of a Historical Novel

Friday, July 04, 2008

another day

I've been taking it easy, blogwise. Kimmie took an extra-long weekend over Canada Day (and had dental surgery on Wednesday), and I fell in with vacation mode alongside.

But even in vacation mode I keep on reading, researching. It can never be "enough", except in the sense that there comes a point when I feel willing to dare writing more of my story based on what I've learned so far. The creative urge pushes me on, even if only slowly, like viscous lava rolling slowly down the side of a volcano.

The great majority of research material that I uncover I will never use. Rather, it helps me to feel at home in my world, helps me make choices that feel real to me.

I hear the clunk of Kimmie's footsteps in the kitchen upstairs as she prepares a blender-drink breakfast for herself. Outside the weather is cooler and still: even the frail leaves of the Japanese maple hang motionless in the morning air. I hear the wavering drone of an airplane, but other than that, only the breathy whir of my computer's fan.

Another day, another day.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Sorry I haven't checked in for a while! Been thinking about the future and all that fun stuff.

    The creative urge, as you mention, is such an enigma I think. You want to create, but what if writer's block persists? Happens to me a lot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 04, 2008 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home